Friday, November 27, 2009

Not recieving the next available appt due to lack of accomodations available:

Well its been a while since I've been on here. Today, on my mind is, the struggles that we face trying to obtain interpreters.

Usually we face obstacles in obtaining them, and recently we faced one, where one was forced upon us, blocking us from having instant access as a hearing person would have. Heres what happened:

One day, I walked into an office and requested an appt, and it was 2 weeks away...I requested an appt as soon as possible:
they say "Im sorry but we can't give you the next available appoiintment, you will have to wait 2 weeks so we can secure you an interpreter".
Me: "I am willing to forgo an interreter, I want the next available appointment". Them: "I am sorry, we cannot obligue you, as the law says we must provide you with an interpreter".
Me: "yes, when I request one, and when appointments are made in advance. However, I am in need and I have the same right as any person to have the next available appt and waive my right for an interpreter at this specific appointment".....

So annoying. Then, more recently, I went in to make an appt for my sister at her doctors because they were not answering the phone. I requested the next available appointment which was "tmw morning".....but they disagreed and said they need 2 weeks notice to provide an interpreter.
Me: "She is sick, she doesn't need to wait 2 weeks, she is willing to waive the right to an interpreter for this certain appointment".
Them: "Im sorry but deaf folks have been forcing us to follow the ADA Law, so we are required to provide an itnerpter"
Me: "Yes, you are, upon request. We are not requesting an interpreter--we would like one but we know its probably impossible to get an intepreter at this late of a notice, but she is sick and needs to be seen".....

Talk about the frusterations! If I culd only educate everyone! I am only one person. We can only educate one at a time, one by one. Even when workshops are given, they do not comply. Sometimes you just can't win. But educating little by little, eventually we will win.

Oklahoma is one of those who is very behind.
I lived in Oregon for a year and a half and did not have this struggle.
Our pastor and his wife moved here from New York City, and they said they too did not face this struggle.

Heres to educating OKLAHOMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment